Middleton Junction West signal box 27 signal (down main home) with R28 signal (down main intermediate block home 1 distant) below it. Thursday 15th February 1990
Middleton Junction signal box was located alongside the Up Main line at the Manchester end of the demolished Middleton Junction station, and was a Railway Signal Company Limited standard design built for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company in 1882 replacing an earlier signal box. In 1893 replacement 54 lever and 8 lever Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Tappet frames were installed, the smaller lever frame at the rear of the signal box to control connections on the Werneth line. The signal box was renamed Middleton Junction West in 1903 when Middleton Junction East signal box, a mere 145 yards distant was opened at the opposite end of Middleton Junction railway station. By 1962 the small 8 lever frame had been removed and the main frame had been reduced to 52 levers. The signal box was switched out of circuit for the last time at 3pm on 11th January 1990 and closed on 4th March 1990 when the absolute block section was extended to between Castleton East Junction and Vitriol Works signal boxes. The building remained until destroyed by fire on 12th September 1990
27 and R28 signals are carried on a British Railways London Midland Region three doll bracket with an all-welded stem which replaced what looked like an early London Midland and Scottish Railway gantry spanning the main lines.
The remaining working doll carries a white diamond which indicates to the driver that his train is occupying a track circuit that indicates his presence to the signalman, and the main stem has a green cross of death painted on it. The redundant doll formerly carried 7 signal (down goods home 1) which was removed when the Down Goods line from Vitriol Works signal box was taken out of use at 10th July 1983. And on the right was formerly 28 signal (down main home to down branch)
Ref no 11140