In our business life one of the main areas people who have decided to work from home is keeping themselves focused in their home business. The challenge people have is when they move from working in an office or retail environment where there time is manged by managers, opening and closing times, and office hours. As employees their time is managed and every minute of every day has a task.
Then the day comes where they wave good-bye to this lifestyle, work mates and bosses. The next day the alarm clock goes off and instead of jumping out of bed, they roll over and go back to sleep for five minutes more, because now they are their own boss. And instead of having a thirty minutes lunch-break it turns into a few hours. This needs to stop sooner than later. Or else you will find you will only be working for an hour a day and playing the rest. This will not put money into your bank account.
It is time to get focused and stay focused. To start with take a pad of paper and pen and map out your day and what it looks like today. Then underline all the areas that are not work related and put a time by these. Please do not beat yourself up if this is a big number, we are all human and we are going to look at ways we can keep focused.
- An area that a large number of work at home people suffer with is where family, friends and relatives just pop into say hi and have a coffee. Normally they say we just thought you maybe lonely. This has to stop right away and you need to be very strict with this. Say you would love to see them, and tell them your lunch hour, or the time you finish work. And make it clear they can only call during these times.
- Now of course we all have emergencies – Pets, children, Family and Friends emergencies are different and yes you do drop everything and help.
- Set yourself to-do lists and stick with them. Start at number one (the most important item) and then work through the list. There are some days when you will not complete the list. Do not beat yourself up, just add the items you could not do to the next days list. And as we know we need to write these lists up the night before, so in the morning we are ready to go.
- Working in a well ventilated room, have a good supply of fresh air and natural sunlight as possible.
- Drink plenty of liquids, fresh water, tea and coffee, but if possible water.
- Take regular exercise and get up and have a stretch every thirty minutes, it is not good to sit at your computer day in and day out.
- Give yourself an award when you hit a target or reach a goal. This will keep you motivated, and something to look forward to.
- And also allow yourself a day off now and then, and do this during a working week. Why? Well you set up your own business for freedom, and there is nothing like going to the gym, spa, shopping and having a nice lunch with a loved one when everyone else is at work.
- And if you are feeling a bit naughty put up a Facebook post and picture. This will show the people who made fun of you for setting up a business that you are a success and have freedom.
So keep yourself focused, set yourself goals, write those to-do lists and then go for it.