There are hundreds of pathogens present in the environment capable of causing infectious diseases in humans. Some of these diseases such as HIV / AIDS and Ebola are highly dreaded where death is the only way of getting rid of the infection. Most of these diseases occur as a result of certain risk factors that can be categorized into controllable and uncontrollable risk factors.
Some of the risk factors that can cause disease are highly ignored and not attended to properly. These types of risk factors are known as controllable risk factors. It is possible to control the spread of infectious diseases and prevent an outbreak by managing these factors in a proper way. Some of the risk factors of infectious diseases are explained below.
1. Unprotected sex: Sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS occur mainly due to unhealthy or unprotected sexual practices. It is always better to use condoms while having sexual intercourse. Apart from that, one should always avoid performing oral sex with a stranger. It is always better if one remains faithful to his / her better-half.
2. Untreated open wounds: This factor poses the largest risk to getting infected with pathogens. Open wounds should always be treated with immediate affect.
3. Poor hygiene: Soil contaminants such as nematodes spread into the system when people consume food with unwashed hands. It is always good to maintain good hygiene. One should wash hands before and after consuming food. Clothes including innerwear should be changed regularly. They should be thoroughly cleaned using a good detergent.
4. Spoiled food: Several food borne infections such as Brucellosis spread through consumption of spoiled food that is already contaminated with pathogens. Even pathogens such as nematodes spread through uncooked food. Here, it is important to cook food thoroughly and consume it before it gets spoiled.
5. Unhealthy diet: Diet that lacks important ingredients such as proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates can lead to reduced immunity. Individuals with unhealthy diet are highly vulnerable to infectious diseases.