Website Screenshots by PagePeeker admin – Heres The Answers

East Anglian Railway Museum – The Goods Shed – office of the Goods Clerk

East Anglian Railway Museum - The Goods Shed - office of the Goods Clerk

A visit to the East Anglian Railway Museum.

The East Anglian Railway Museum is located at Chappel and Wakes Colne railway station in Essex, England, which is situated on the former Great Eastern Railway branch line from Marks Tey to Sudbury. Services on the Sudbury Branch Line are operated by Abellio Greater Anglia.

The museum has a wide collection of locomotives and rolling stock, some of which are fully restored, three are converted into Thomas, Percy and Toby replicas while others are undergoing repair and restoration. The Restoration Shed was built in 1983–4, before which most work had to take place in the Goods Shed or in the open. On event days, steam or diesel train rides are operated over a short demonstration track.

The museum also plays host to three popular annual events: the Winter Beer Festival held each February, the Cider Festival held each June, and the Summer Beer Festival held each September. During the festivals, additional late-evening trains on the Sudbury Branch Line allow festival-goers to return home by train subject to provision by the train operation companies. There are no moving exhibits during the festivals, although train carriages are usually open to sit in and drink, with one wagon doubling up as The Shunters Arms at the summer festival.

The museum was originally formed as the Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society on 24 September 1968. The SVRPS was established at Chappel & Wakes Colne Station in December 1969 after a lease was obtained from British Rail to use the vacant goods yard and railway buildings, including the station building. The first public steam day took place three months later.

The goods shed and station buildings were quickly restored; with a workshop being set up in the goods shed to enable maintenance and restoration work to be undertaken on the rolling stock.

The Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society was renamed to The East Anglian Railway Museum in 1986 to confirm its focus on representing railway history of the Eastern Counties rather than just operating trains. The museum gained charitable status in 1991 (Registered Charity No. 1001579) and became a Registered Museum in 1995.

Since 2005, the museum has had a greater emphasis on interpretation and display facilities, a large variety of events take place each year to raise funds to support the museum’s activities.

The Goods Shed

Believed erected at the same time as the main station buildings in 1891, this was the main centre of activity of the station until freight activity on the line ceased in 1962. The small building on the end of the main building was the office of the Goods Clerk. The building was used mainly for goods needing protection from the weather, or of value, bulk goods such as coal or other minerals being unloaded in the yard. The crane is from Saffron Walden Goods Shed and was rebuilt here in 1993.

office of the Goods Clerk

Goods Office

This office was the main focal point in the everyday working of the Goods Shed. The Goods Clerk had a wide range of responsibilities dealing with both Railway staff and members of the public.

Posted by ell brown on 2019-07-17 18:42:03

Tagged: , East Anglian Railway Museum , Chappel and Wakes Colne Station , Essex , East Anglia , England , United Kingdom , Great Britain , Wakes Colne , Chappel , former Great Eastern Railway branch line from Marks Tey to Sudbury , Gainsborough line , Industrial railway museum , Chappel & Wakes Colne , Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society , SVRPS , The East Anglian Railway Museum , The Goods Shed , office of the Goods Clerk , sign , Goods Office

Tagged : / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Image from page 107 of “Delightful stories; or, Home talks out of the Wonderful book..” (1888)

Image from page 107 of

Identifier: delightfulstori00pelt
Title: Delightful stories; or, Home talks out of the Wonderful book..
Year: 1888 (1880s)
Authors: Peltz, George A. (George Alexander)
Publisher: Philadelphia
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: The Library of Congress

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
as theKing of Elam. But they rebelled against him, and would not payhim any more money for taxes. So this King and three others cameone day and attacked the cities of the plain. They made short workof the soldiers who came out to fight them. Then they stole all thevaluables they could find and carried off Lot and many other peopleas prisoners. Served Lot right, exclaimed Charley; he had no business tolive there. By and by Abram heard what had happened to Lot. What doyou suppose he then did ? He did not say, Served him right, nor, Its1none of my business. Oh! no; he gathered together his own men whocould serve as soldiers and other men who were his friends, threehundred and eighteen in all, and away he went in pursuit of the vie-7 102 GRANDPA GOODWINS STORIES. torious King of Elam. After a chase of about a hundred miles, heovertook and beat him completely and took back the prisoners andall the stolen goods. So Abram saved Lot and recovered all thetreasures of those cities of the plain.

Text Appearing After Image:
Ani Melchizedek King of Salem brought forth bread and -wine : and he was the priest of the most> high God.—Genesis xiv, 18. He was just grand! exclaimed Mary, who was an ardent hero-worshiper. I wish I had seen that fight, said Charley. It would have beensplendid fun to see those fellows chased over the hills, dropping allthe nice things as they ran. HOME FROM THE FIGHT. 103 When the fight was over and Abrams men had rested, he beganhis march home, and everybody on the way was anxious to do himhonor. The King of Sodom, who had escaped capture at the timeof the battle, went out a long way to meet Abram and his men; andwell he might. They had done a great thing for him. Anothergreat King named Melchizedek came out to meet them also. Hewas King of Salem. He was so noble and good and so honorable apriest of God that the Lord Jesus Himself is called, a priest after theorder of Melchizedek. This King-brought out food and drink for thesoldiers, and in the name of God pronounced blessing

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Posted by Internet Archive Book Images on 2014-07-29 02:30:17

Tagged: , bookid:delightfulstori00pelt , bookyear:1888 , bookdecade:1880 , bookcentury:1800 , bookauthor:Peltz__George_A___George_Alexander_ , bookpublisher:Philadelphia , bookcontributor:The_Library_of_Congress , booksponsor:The_Library_of_Congress , bookleafnumber:107 , bookcollection:library_of_congress , bookcollection:americana

Tagged : / / / / / / / / / /