P. DENNIS & SON, Home and Table Supply House, 437 Wheeling Avenue.—The individual members of this firm are Mr. P. Dennis and his son, Henry W. Dennis, , both of whom are practical and reliable business men, who bring into requisition, the amplest financial and business ability. The senior member, Mr. P. Dennis, is a native of Perry county in this State and was born in 1826. From his youth he has been inured to active business life and came to this county in 1840. He learned the trade of stone cutter and brick mason and plastering, at which he worked until 1848. He then went to California, where he followed gold mining, etc., with considerable success and in 1852 traveled and visited Sandwich Islands, from there to Australia and returned to San Francisco, after which he returned east and located in this county where he commenced the grocery business. On the breaking out of the war of the rebellion he became in 1861 a member of company F, 26th regiment O. V. I. and was promoted to 1st lieutenant. After being wounded he resigned in 1862 and went west and handled stock, etc., until 1866 when he came to this place and engaged in the grocery and provision business in which he has been engaged ever since, admitting his son to partnership in 1888. This firm occupy a fine business room 20 x 68 feet in dimensions besides basement, and the stock carried embraces one of the most comprehensive and complete stocks of groceries and provisions to be found in this county, embracing all general home and table supplies, fine cigars, tobaccos, notions, country produce, etc. One horse and wagon is kept for the prompt delivery of goods to patrons in all parts of the city.
J. R. TROETTE, Household and Cabinet Furniture and Undertaking.—The advance steps of manufacture and civilization are in no department more marked than in this branch of trade within the past half century. American genius and enterprise have secured improved machinery for the rapid manufacture of most beautiful designs and has resulted in placing within the reach of all economical households neat and even elegant, useful and ornamental articles in this line. Mr. Troette, who has for many years been actively engaged in this business here, is a native of Allegheny county, Pa., and was born in 1849. When he was about five years of age his parents removed to Birmingham, Iowa, where he was reared upon the farm until 1864. He then learned the cabinet business and subsequently came to this county in 1874. As an indication of the facilities he enjoys in both branches of his business we notice that he now occupies three stories of a large building 20 x 65 feet in dimensions, besides ware room 17 x 40 feet in size. He carries in stock a comprehensive variety of common, medium and finest designs of household and cabinet furniture in large variety, including fine upholstered and marble top goods, parlor, chamber and dining room suites, spring beds and mattresses, picture frames, mirrors, brackets, etc., while repairing is done to order. In the undertaking department he carries in stock a full line of coffins, caskets and burial cases with all undertakers supplies. He keeps a fine hearse and will attend funerals on reasonable terms. He will take the entire charge of bodies and preserve or embalm according to the wishes of friends of deceased.
W. A. FLEMING, Agent Singer Sewing Machine Co., 604 Wheeling Avenue.—Notwithstanding the severe competition this company has to contend with it is a remarkable fact, shown by statistics, that they manufacture and dispose of annually, more machines than all other companies combined. The Singer is found in all markets of the union, and in all portions of the civilized world and the improved singer with new and special attachments is conceded to be unrivaled for domestic uses and manufacturing purposes. The agency in this city is now in the control of Mr. Wm. A. Fleming, a gentleman who has had many years experience in this department and is familiar with the working and mechanism of the various machines placed upon the market. He will be pleased to give such information to those wishing to purchase as will enable them to judge of the merits of the Singer, and will leave machines on trial with all who desire to purchase, and offer such terms as to place this most desirable household implement in the hands of every economical family. The Singer commends itself in its light and noiseless running, in its simplicity, in the fact that it will not easily get out of order and in the excellence and reliability of its work. Mr. Fleming is a native of Washington county, Pa. , where he was born in 1841. After completing his education he taught school for some years, and in 1864 became a resident of this State. In the winter of 1884-5 he filled the position of assistant clerk in the Ohio State Senate, and previous to coming to this city held the agency of the Singer sewing machine at New Concord, Muskingum county, taking the agency here in January of this year.
HAMMOND’S OPERA HOUSE, Robert Hammond, Proprietor and Manager, Mill Street.—Among the public buildings which are worthy of special recognition is Hammond’s Opera House, which was erected by Mr. Robert Hammond in the spring of 1885 for the purpose of meeting the demand for a suitable building for theatrical troupes, public meetings, etc. The building is situated near the center of the city, one square from the principal business street. There is in front a short hallway, with ticket office on one side and baggage or cloak room on the opposite side. The auditorium is on the ground floor and is constructed with reference to beauty and acoustic properties. It is twenty feet in height, with handsome and convenient gallery in the end and occupying part of the sides; is provided with chairs and has an easy seating capacity a from 900 to 1,000 persons. The stage is thirty feet deep by forty-five feet in width, and is supplied with scenery, and beneath the stage are ample and convenient dressing rooms. Cambridge with its 5,000 inhabitants and thickly populated surroundings, is recognized as an excellent show town for creditable companies, and all correspondence will receive prompt attention. Mr. Hammond, who is a member of the legal bar of this city, is noticed elsewhere in this review.
HENRY STEELE, Wholesale and Retail Leather and Findings, Hides and Pelts, 632 Wheeling Avenue.—As an indication of what may be accomplished by perseverance, integrity and well directed effort, we notice especially some points in the career of Mr. Steel in connection with the facilities he enjoys to-day for meeting the requirements of the wholesale and retail trade in this department. Mr. Steele is a native of England, and came to this country when quite young, locating in Tuscarawas county. He engaged in tanning and subsequently removed to this county in 1845, where he has followed the business for some years with marked success. He now owns the entire building he occupies 33 x 43 feet in dimensions and two stories in height, besides wareroom 24 x 40 feet in size. The Electric Light plant is also upon his property and adjoining his tannery. Mr. Steele now holds a prominent place among our most reliable and enterprising business men, and in leather and findings is able to meet the requirements upon the most liberal terms.
Dr. T. F. HUNTER, Dentist, 758 Wheeling Avenue.—The science of dental surgery has kept pace with the most progressive ideas, and the perfection it has reached in this country has given to our operations a reputation in all parts of the civilized world. Dr. Hunter, who has enjoyed many years practical experience as surgeon dentist, is a native of this city and has taken an active and intelligent interest in all scientific accomplishments especially relating to dental surgery, and is a member of the State dental association. His operating room and laboratory evince the utilization of newest appliances known to the art, and the best class of work executed in all departments of mechanical and operative dentistry.
WM. ARMBRUSTER, Boarding House, Wheeling Avenue.—This avocation is one which has both local and general interest. Mr. Armbruster is a native of Germany and was born in 1849. He came to this country in 1867. He is a practical blacksmith and followed the business for some years. He came to this city from Belmont county in 1884, and opened his present house in 1888, and is prepared to accommodate boarders by the meal, day or week. The house occupied contains about twelve good rooms which are neatly and comfortably furnished, and clean and comfortable beds and a table supplied with the best substantials and luxuries of the season are secured here at reasonable prices.
J. E. LAWRENCE, Attorney at Law, Office 754 Wheeling Avenue.—Among our influential advocates and counsellors associated with the bar of this county, we refer to Mr. J. E. Lawrence, who is a native of this county and was born in 1848. His literary education was chiefly received at Franklin college, Harrison county, after which he engaged in the study of his chosen profession with Messrs. Barnes & Anderson of this city. He was admitted to practice in 1875 and first located in Nebraska returning to this place in 1878. He has participated in many of the important litigations in the courts of this and adjoining counties and filled the office of Mayor of this municipality from 1884 to 1888.