Website Screenshots by PagePeeker February 13, 2021 – Heres The Answers

Image from page 363 of “Little journeys to the homes of the great” (1916)

Image from page 363 of

Identifier: littlejourneystov11hubb
Title: Little journeys to the homes of the great
Year: 1916 (1910s)
Authors: Hubbard, Elbert, 1856-1915 Hoyle, John T. (John Thomas), b. 1873, ed
Subjects: Biography
Publisher: New York, Chicago, W. H. Wise & co
Contributing Library: Brigham Young University Hawaii, Joseph F. Smith Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Consortium of Church Libraries and Archives

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
family,the head of which was a draper. This man had a smallstore on West Street, and Alexander had helped tend storeon Saturdays, and occasionally evenings when ships camein and sailors with money to waste lumbered and lub-bered past, often with gay painted galleys in tow.The things you do at twenty are making indelible markson your character. Stewart had no special taste fortrade, but experience spells power—potential or actual.With five thousand dollars in his belt, all in gold, hefelt uncomfortable. And so on a venture he expendedhalf of it in good Irish lace, insertions and scalloptrimmings. Irish linens, Irish poplins and Irish lacewere being shipped to New York—it could not be aloss! He would follow suit. If he was robbed of hismoney he could not at the same time be robbed of thedrapery. And so he sailed away for New York—andIreland looked more green and more beautiful as thegreat, uplifting, green hills faded from sight and werelost to view in the mist. 339 A. T. STEWART

Text Appearing After Image:
N the ship that carried Stewart back to NewYork was a young man who professed to bean adept in the drapers line. Very naturally,Stewart got acquainted with this man, andtold him of his investment in drygoods. The manoffered to sell the stock for Stewart.In those days the Irish pedler with his pack full ofcurious and wonderful things was a common sightat the farmhouses. He rivaled both Yankee-Gentileand Jew, and his blarney was a commodity that stoodhim in good stead. Stewarts new-found friend promisedto sell the stock in short order, by going right out amongthe people. He had no money of his own, and Stewartwas doubly pleased to think he could set a worthy manup in business, and help himself at the same time. Onreaching New York, the friend was fitted out with allthe goods he could carry, and duly headed for NewJersey. In two days he came back. He had sold mostof the goods all right, and with the money gottengloriously drunk; also, he had bought drinks for allthe Irishmen he could fin

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Posted by Internet Archive Book Images on 2014-07-28 03:12:18

Tagged: , bookid:littlejourneystov11hubb , bookyear:1916 , bookdecade:1910 , bookcentury:1900 , bookauthor:Hubbard__Elbert__1856_1915 , bookauthor:Hoyle__John_T___John_Thomas___b__1873__ed , booksubject:Biography , bookpublisher:New_York__Chicago__W__H__Wise___co , bookcontributor:Brigham_Young_University_Hawaii__Joseph_F__Smith_Library , booksponsor:Consortium_of_Church_Libraries_and_Archives , bookleafnumber:363 , bookcollection:brighamyounguniversityhawaii , bookcollection:americana

Tagged : / / / / / / / / / / / /

East Anglian Railway Museum – The Goods Shed – signs – LNER and Great Eastern Railway – Trespassers will be Prosecuted

East Anglian Railway Museum - The Goods Shed - signs - LNER and Great Eastern Railway - Trespassers will be Prosecuted

A visit to the East Anglian Railway Museum.

The East Anglian Railway Museum is located at Chappel and Wakes Colne railway station in Essex, England, which is situated on the former Great Eastern Railway branch line from Marks Tey to Sudbury. Services on the Sudbury Branch Line are operated by Abellio Greater Anglia.

The museum has a wide collection of locomotives and rolling stock, some of which are fully restored, three are converted into Thomas, Percy and Toby replicas while others are undergoing repair and restoration. The Restoration Shed was built in 1983–4, before which most work had to take place in the Goods Shed or in the open. On event days, steam or diesel train rides are operated over a short demonstration track.

The museum also plays host to three popular annual events: the Winter Beer Festival held each February, the Cider Festival held each June, and the Summer Beer Festival held each September. During the festivals, additional late-evening trains on the Sudbury Branch Line allow festival-goers to return home by train subject to provision by the train operation companies. There are no moving exhibits during the festivals, although train carriages are usually open to sit in and drink, with one wagon doubling up as The Shunters Arms at the summer festival.

The museum was originally formed as the Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society on 24 September 1968. The SVRPS was established at Chappel & Wakes Colne Station in December 1969 after a lease was obtained from British Rail to use the vacant goods yard and railway buildings, including the station building. The first public steam day took place three months later.

The goods shed and station buildings were quickly restored; with a workshop being set up in the goods shed to enable maintenance and restoration work to be undertaken on the rolling stock.

The Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society was renamed to The East Anglian Railway Museum in 1986 to confirm its focus on representing railway history of the Eastern Counties rather than just operating trains. The museum gained charitable status in 1991 (Registered Charity No. 1001579) and became a Registered Museum in 1995.

Since 2005, the museum has had a greater emphasis on interpretation and display facilities, a large variety of events take place each year to raise funds to support the museum’s activities.

The Goods Shed

Believed erected at the same time as the main station buildings in 1891, this was the main centre of activity of the station until freight activity on the line ceased in 1962. The small building on the end of the main building was the office of the Goods Clerk. The building was used mainly for goods needing protection from the weather, or of value, bulk goods such as coal or other minerals being unloaded in the yard. The crane is from Saffron Walden Goods Shed and was rebuilt here in 1993.

signs – LNER and Great Eastern Railway – Trespassers will be Prosecuted

Posted by ell brown on 2019-07-17 18:41:59

Tagged: , East Anglian Railway Museum , Chappel and Wakes Colne Station , Essex , East Anglia , England , United Kingdom , Great Britain , Wakes Colne , Chappel , former Great Eastern Railway branch line from Marks Tey to Sudbury , Gainsborough line , Industrial railway museum , Chappel & Wakes Colne , Stour Valley Railway Preservation Society , SVRPS , The East Anglian Railway Museum , The Goods Shed , sign , signs , LNER , Great Eastern Railway , Trespassers will be Prosecuted

Tagged : / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /