Goods entrance, Blossom Street.
This Victorian warehouse in the heart of Shoreditch was occupied between 1875 and 2003 by Nicholls & Clarke Company, the glass, lead and colour merchants who later expanded into ceramic tiles, natural stone, adhesives and bathroom in 1995. In 2003 Nicholls and Clarke finally left its home of 120 years in Shoreditch High Street and moved to a purpose built 6 acre site in Chadwell Heath. (space2events.net/event-spaces/london/nicholls-clarke-buil… accessed 23 June 2011: no longer live)
Posted by Phil Baines on 2015-04-21 23:29:10
Adams Dry Goods (1900–02)
Architect: DeLemos & Cordes
675-91 Sixth Ave.
Ladies Mile, New York
Former silver miner and Colorado state senator Samuel Adams (1849–1928) opened a dry goods store at Sixth Avenue and 22nd Street in 1885. Business boomed, and he expanded into other buildings on the block. In 1900, he began construction on an imposing block-long Beaux-Arts emporium. He targeted upwardly mobile shoppers who could afford expensive frocks, linens, china, hats, and household items. But business began to flag, and a 1906 merger with Hugh O’Neill next door failed to save the business. Adams closed its doors for a final time in 1913. Adams himself decamped for the Bronx, opening the Adams-Flanigan department store in the Hub at Third Avenue and 149th Street, which operated from 1908 until it was bought out by Hearn’s in 1937.
The building, like its spacious neighbors, housed various garment industry businesses. Hershey Chocolates, the Young & Rubicam advertising agency, and Mattel Toys called this address home at one time.
© Matthew X. Kiernan
Posted by New York Big Apple Images on 2010-03-20 21:49:41
Tagged: , ladies mile , new york , adams , delemos , cordes , NYCLPC , New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission , landmark , department , store , manhattan , flatiron