The Carter Dry Goods Company was founded in 1854 by John A. Carter, James G. Carter, and two other men. The Carters bought the interest of the other owners in 1859. The business closed during the Civil War. The Carter Dry Goods Company was a leading dry goods business in the region. According to a New York Times article from 1894 reporting the "Dry Goods Ecomonomist Reports," the Carter Dry Goods Company reported, "We certainly think there will be a steady increase in business through 1894 unless some unforeseen developments of an unfavorable nature arise in the general situation." (From The New York Times, Feb. 27, 1894, "Activity in the Dry Good Trade.") The Carter Dry Goods Company was sold several times starting 1954 before going out of business in 1982.
The facade in the photograph is of the 1878 Charles J. Clarke designed building that was home to the Carter Dry Goods Company for seventy-six years. The building is located in a block on Main Sreet between 7th and 8th Streets that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tagged: , Kentucky , Jefferson County , dry goods , sign , Carter Dry Good Co. , US 31W , 1854 , National Register of Historic Places , Charles J. Clarke , 1878 , Louisville, Kentucky